Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2009

60 Seconds with Tony John


60 seconds with Tony John:
The MVP award made me feel that I am being recognized for what I did for the community.

VJ caught up with Tony John, MVP in Visual Developer - ASP/ASP.NET, to get his view on the Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program(MVP).

VJ: Please tell us about yourself
Tony John:I am Tony John, founder of websites including dotnetspider.com, SilverlightClub.com, AspSpider.com, IndiaStudyChannel.com and few others. I have been working as a software engineer for last 12+ years.

I am from Kerala, but live in Houston Texas.

VJ: What motivated you to become an MVP
Tony John:
I am a graduate in teaching before I did my Masters in Computers. I used to love teaching others. I started the community activities back in Chennai several years back with the aim of helping poor students and graduates learn programming. When the number of students increased for my free training, I switched to internet based training and that game birth to my first technology website dotnetspider.com

At that time, I wasn’t aware of the MVP recognition. However, after dotnetspider became popular, one of the active members of dotnetspider referred me for this program and I became an MVP.

VJ: Please share with us your journey of becoming an MVP.
Tony John:
It was a great experience to be part of the elite group. The MVP award made me feel that I am being recognized for what I did for the community. It gave me good reputation among my colleagues and friends.

The biggest advantage I have as part of the MVP award is, it helps me a lot to promote my websites. As a Microsoft MVP, other webmasters recognize me and responds to my emails. It was easy for me to sign up for various partnership programs since the MVP label adds more trust to my name. I could make several companies sponsor prizes and awards in my websites using my MVP status.

VJ: Tell us about your MVP Summit experience
Tony John:The MVP summit was a great event. It gave me the opportunity to meet lot of people whom I have otherwise only heard about in the past. I could meet several fellow webmasters there. It gave me the opportunity to talk in person with the core people behind many Microsoft products.

VJ: Any message to technologists
Tony John:My advice to the new members is, focus on the work you are doing without worrying about receiving the award. You must demonstrate technical capabilities as well as willingness to help the community members. I am sure the dedicated work will be paid off and the MVP award will come on your way.

4 comments:

Gaurav Aroraa said...

Such a nice one.

Thanks Vijay providing such nice and informative interview with Tony.

Vijaya Kadiyala said...

Hi Metu,

Thank you for visitn my blog and leaving valuable comment.

I am trying to inspire myself and inspire every one along with me to do bit XTRA.

Thanks -- Vijaya Kadiyala

Gaurav Arora said...

Hi Vijay,

Nice job done by you. It will inspire us.

Hope more assistant from you in future.

Anonymous said...

Good thing to do ...
Great...
Keep it up